Difficulty: Simple (Helps if you’re a bit baked)
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30-35 minutes refrigeration time
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Serves: 8 or 1 if you have the serious munchies
- 1 lb fresh lump Blue Crab crabmeat
- 20 saltine crackers – finely crushed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp hot sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
1. Gently pick through the crab to remove any remaining small pieces of shell.
2. In a medium-size bowl, toss the crab meat with the crushed saltine crackers and gently mix together. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until smooth.
4. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the crab mixture and gently toss the ingredients together.
5. To make it easier to form the crab cakes, cover the crab mixture and place in refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
6. To make the large crab cakes, roughly divide the mixture and then using your hands, lightly shape it into ½ inch cake about 3-4 inches wide, just until it holds together. Do not pack the mixture tightly.
7. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and when the oil is hot add four of the crab cakes. Cook for about 3 minutes per side and remove from the pan when they are golden brown on each side. Drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining 4 crab cakes.
8. Serve immediately.